What the GPF Scholarship Committee Does for You (and What We Are Requesting in Return!)
by Micki Vandeloo, GPC, GPF Board Vice-Chair, Scholarship Committee Chair
This has been quite a busy year for the GPF Scholarship Committee! In case you don’t know about the committee, it is charged with the following activities:
- Development of the Scholarship and Regional Conference Sponsorship campaigns
- Promotion of scholarships to chapters
- Receiving feedback from chapters on scholarship activities and responding to questions
- Scoring scholarship applications (done jointly with members of the GPF Board)
- Announcing scholarship winners in conjunction with the Marketing Committee
- Refining and documenting the scholarship process
The committee is dedicated to ensuring the scholarship process is streamlined and visible so that GPA members can easily access scholarship money. And, this dedication has paid off! Check out the committee’s contributions to the GPA community in just the first seven months of 2016!
- Awarded four GPF funded Membership Scholarships in the spring cycle of 2017. This totaled $936, and we had a record 19 applicants in this scholarship cycle.
- Awarded five GPF funded Regional Conference Sponsorships totaling $2,500
- Contributed over $2,000 to fund four GPC Scholarships
- Awarded 18 GPF, chapter and donor funded 2017 National Conference Scholarships totaling over $13,000! A record 83 applications were submitted for this year’s scholarships.
So, how can you help a committee that will provide direct financial support to GPA members totaling over $19,000 in 2017? Here are three simple ways to do so:
Serve: We are always looking for additional committee members to bring new ideas and expertise to our committee! If you are interested in learning more about volunteering, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donate: Money donated through the GPF website funds scholarships and operating costs for the Foundation. You can either donate monthly through the Giving Well, participate in the Every Chapter Challenge, or make a one-time tax-deductible donation.
Shop: By shopping at the Silent Auction or Wine Cork Pull at the National Conference (or bidding online before/during the Conference), you are supporting the Foundation and its scholarship activity! Interested in earning your GPC? Buy the book, Prepare for the GPC Exam, and support Foundation scholarships.
I hope you take time to consider doing one (or more) of these activities, particularly if you are a past scholarship recipient! There is no better way to give back than to help future scholars!